News

Sheriff's Office sued over fatal raid

Larry Parsons, Monterey Herald Tribune, July 27, 2011
The death of a Greenfield man in a house fire started by a sheriff's SWAT team during a January raid has led to a federal civil rights lawsuit filed against the Monterey County Sheriff's Office by the man's family. ... The suit asks for court orders to require the Sheriff's Office to institute training on "generally accepted and proper tactics" for using flash-bang grenadesand a ban on their use until "safe practices" are established. Haddad said, "A judge could order that relief after trial." He said he would discuss with county lawyers the possibility of taking such steps earlier in the proceedings.

Read News Article »